Steering Group on Minor Uses
The EU Steering Group on Minor Uses was set up to co-ordinate the work of the Technical Group on Minor Uses and to look at procedures, finance and strategic issues to do with minor uses. The work of the Steering Group allows the Technical group to concentrate on the scientific and agronomic problems and the search for solutions.
The objective behind this initiative is to try and get an EU minor uses initiative off the ground. There is a general concern at the loss of compounds in the review and the consequent economic impact particularly (but not exclusively) on minor crops.
One of the key recommendations (pdf , 2 pages) of the Steering Group was the establishment of a Technical Group to:
- Co-ordinate member states residues, efficacy and selectivity trials programmes to reduce overlap;
- Consider proposals for co-ordinated research potentially involving EU funding;
- Monitor progress on the development of alternatives to the "essential uses";
- Liase with the major crop protection companies to encourage support for minor uses;
- To report to the Steering Group and the Commission.
20 September 2005
16 February 2005
31st March 2004
5th March 2003
[back to top]