Glossary of Minor Use Terms
What are Minor Uses?
Minor Uses are crops or situations that are relatively small in area or major crops where a particular problem is small or sporadic. Minor uses typically have a small number of crop protection products that do not cover all the problems. The loss of one active substance or its use on minor crops can cause major problems, as there are very few, if any alternatives.
What are Essential uses?
Essential Uses arose out of the European review of all pesticides. As a result of this review some 600 active substances were not supported by approval holders. This loss of active substances particularly affects minor crops and uses. To alleviate the immediate problem posed by the loss of a number of active substances the Commission agreed that a limited number of Essential Uses could be temporarily maintained. This would provide the opportunity for alternatives to be developed. The UK secured 14 active substances. Most essential uses have now expired, but 3 active substances still have extant essential uses.
- Comité des Organisations Professionnelles Agricoles de L'Union Européenne. An umbrella body of European farmers and growers associations.
- is the European Crop Care Association
- is the European Crop Protection Association
- is the Horticultural Development Council
- is the Pesticide Action Network
[back to top]